SCS HB 1149, 2015 (New Section - Proposed Language)
219.095. 1. There is hereby created a special class of trust funds to be known as the "DYS Trust Fund" for depositing wages earned by a youth or for other funds provided for the use or benefit of the youth. These funds will be established for each facility where youth are located in the custody of the DYS throughout the state. The division shall deposit money in a DYS trust fund with a financial institution. Any earnings attributable to the money in the account of a youth shall be credited to that youth's DYS trust fund. The division will establish regulations regarding the creation and administration of accounts. Moneys in these special trust funds shall not be deemed to be state funds. Moneys deposited in these funds shall be used only for the purposes specified by federal or state law, or regulation of the division. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080 to the contrary, moneys in these funds shall not be transferred to general revenue at the end of each biennium. Any funds not expended by or on behalf of the youth before the youth's release from DYS residential care shall be paid to the youth upon release from DYS residential care.
2. The division shall establish by regulation a program for youth to access funds, as deemed appropriate by the division, in the DYS trust fund for reasonable purposes while the youth is in DYS residential care. The program shall include training for youth on wise money management, maintaining personal financial accounts, and saving money for use after discharge from DYS residential care.
3. There is hereby created a special trust fund to be known as the "DYS Child Benefits Fund" within the state treasury for depositing of payments from the social security administration to youth in DYS custody. Moneys in this special trust fund shall not be deemed to be state funds. Moneys deposited in this fund shall be used only for the purposes specified by federal or state law, or regulation of the division. The state treasurer shall be custodian of the fund and may approve disbursements from the fund in accordance with sections 30.170 and 30.180, RSMo. The state treasurer shall invest moneys in the fund in the same manner as other funds are invested. Any interest and moneys earned on such investments shall be credited to the fund. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080 to the contrary, moneys in the fund shall not be transferred to general revenue at the end of each biennium. Any funds not expended by or on behalf of the youth before release from DYS residential care shall be distributed as required by federal law.
4. The division may accept an appointment to serve as representative payee or fiduciary, or in a similar capacity for payments to a youth from the social security administration or under any public or private benefit arrangement. Money so received shall be governed by this section unless otherwise provided by law.
5. Any money received by the division under this section on behalf of a youth shall be deposited in either a DYS trust fund or the DYS child benefits fund and accounted for in the name of the youth or as representative payee of the youth. The division shall by rule adopted under chapter 536 establish procedures for the use and accounting of the money and the protection of the money against theft, loss, or misappropriation. The rules promulgated by the division shall comply with all federal requirements to be a representative payee of the youth.
6. The division may accept funds which a parent, guardian or other person wishes to provide for the use or benefit of the youth. The funds shall be deposited in a DYS trust fund in the name of the youth at the DYS location where the youth resides. The use of such funds shall be governed by this section.
7. Each youth shall be furnished annually with a statement listing every transaction involving funds which have been deposited with the division on the youth's behalf, to include all receipts and disbursements.
8. The division shall use all proper diligence to promptly disburse any balance of money accumulated in the youth's account in the manner required by law when the youth is released from DYS residential care or upon death of the youth. When the youth is deceased the balance shall be disbursed according to the procedures established by law for descent and distribution or, in the case of moneys received from the social security administration as representative payee, disbursed as required by federal law. If, after the division has diligently used such methods and means as considered reasonable to refund such funds, there shall remain any money, the owner of which is unknown to the division, or if known, cannot be located by the division, in each and every such instance such money shall be reported pursuant to sections 447.500 to 447.595.
9. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to apply to funds regularly due the state of Missouri for the support and maintenance of youth in the care and custody of the division or collected by the state of Missouri as reimbursement for state funds expended on behalf of the youth.