SCS HB 1577, 2016 (New Section - Proposed Language)
8.173. 1. There is hereby created a "Joint Committee on Capitol Security".
2. The committee shall be composed of the president pro tempore of the senate and the speaker of the house of representatives, or general assembly employees of their choosing. In addition, the president pro tempore shall appoint two senators, one each from the majority and minority party; and the speaker of the house of representatives shall appoint two representatives, one each from the majority and minority party. The appointment of each member shall continue, at the pleasure of the appointing authority, during the member's term of office. The committee shall select a chairperson and a vice-chairperson, one of whom shall be a member of the senate and one shall be a member of the house of representatives. The member of the committee serving as chairperson shall alternate between members of the house and senate every two years after the
committee's organization. A majority of the members shall constitute a quorum.
3. The committee shall take official testimony and make recommendations on the general supervision and security of the Missouri state capitol building, the state capitol parking garages, and any other state-owned buildings adjacent to or in the immediate vicinity of the state capitol building that house any offices of the general assembly or its staff. The committee may close their meetings under chapter 610 due to security concerns. The reports of this committee shall not be considered a public record under chapter 610 but may be released to such persons or entities that the committee, in its discretion, believes should receive such reports.
4. The committee shall meet at such times as the chairperson deems necessary to administer the duties bestowed upon it under this section, but shall meet at least annually.
5. The committee shall be staffed by legislative personnel as is deemed necessary to assist the committee in the performance of its duties.
6. The members of the committee shall serve without compensation but shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties.