CCS SCS SB 638, 2016 (New Section - Proposed Language)
161.1050. 1. There is hereby established within the department of elementary and secondary education the "Trauma-Informed Schools Initiative".
2. The department of elementary and secondary education shall consult the department of mental health and the department of social services for assistance in fulfilling the requirements of this section.
3. The department of elementary and secondary education shall:
(1) Provide information regarding the trauma-informed approach to all school districts;
(2) Offer training on the trauma-informed approach to all school districts, which shall include information on how schools can become trauma-informed schools; and
(3) Develop a website about the trauma-informed schools initiative that includes information for schools and parents regarding the trauma-informed approach and a guide for schools on how to become trauma-informed schools.
4. Each school district shall provide the address of the website described under subdivision (3) of subsection 3 of this section to all parents of the students in its district before October first of each school year.
5. For purposes of this section, the following terms mean:
(1) "Trauma-informed approach", an approach that involves understanding and responding to the symptoms of chronic interpersonal trauma and traumatic stress across the lifespan;
(2) "Trauma-informed school", a school that:
(a) Realizes the widespread impact of trauma and understands potential paths for recovery;
(b) Recognizes the signs and symptoms of trauma in students, teachers, and staff;
(c) Responds by fully integrating knowledge about trauma into its policies, procedures, and practices; and
(d) Seeks to actively resist re-traumatization.