SS SCS HCS HB 2379, 2016 (New Section - Proposed Language)
170.048. 1. By July 1, 2018, each district shall adopt a policy for youth suicide awareness and prevention, including plans for how the district will provide for the training and education of its district employees.
2. Each district's policy shall include, but not be limited to the following:
(1) Strategies that can help identify students who are at possible risk of suicide;
(2) Strategies and protocols for helping students at possible risk of suicide; and
(3) Protocols for responding to a suicide death.
3. By July 1, 2017, the department of elementary and secondary education shall develop a model policy that districts may adopt. When developing the model policy, the department shall cooperate, consult with, and seek input from organizations that have expertise in youth suicide awareness and prevention. By July 1, 2021, and at least every three years thereafter, the department shall request information and seek feedback from districts on their experience with the policy for youth suicide awareness and prevention. The department shall review this information and may use it to adapt the department's model policy. The department shall post any information on its website that it has received from districts that it deems relevant. The department shall not post any confidential information or any information that personally identifies any student or school employee.