SCS HCS HBs 1646, 2132 & 1621, 2016 (New Section - as Truly Agreed)
170.345. 1. This section shall be known as the
"Missouri Civics Education Initiative".
2. Any student entering the ninth grade after July 1, 2017, who is attending any public, charter, or private school, except private trade schools, as a condition of high school graduation shall pass an examination on the provisions and principles of American civics.
3. The examination shall consist of one hundred questions similar to the one hundred questions used by the USCIS that are administered to applicants for U.S. citizenship.
4. The examination required under this section may be included in any other examination that is administered on the provisions and principles of the Constitution of the United States and of the state of Missouri, and in American history and American institutions, as required in subsection 3 of section 170.011.
5. School districts may use any online test to comply with the provisions of this section.
6. Each school district shall adopt a policy to permit the waiver of the requirements of this section for any student with a disability if recommended by the student's IEP committee. For purposes of this subsection, "IEP" means individualized education program.