SCS SBs 620 & 582, 2016 (Amended Section - as Truly Agreed)
178.550. 1. This section shall be known and may be cited
as the "Career and Technical Education Student Protection Act".
There is hereby established the "Career and Technical Education
Advisory Council" within the department of elementary and secondary
2. The advisory council shall be composed of [eleven]
fifteen members who shall be Missouri residents[, appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate]. The commissioner of education shall appoint the following members:
(1) A director or administrator of a career and technical education center;
(2) An individual from the business community with a background in commerce;
(3) A representative from State Technical College of Missouri;
(4) Three current or retired career and technical education teachers who also serve or served as an advisor to any of the nationally recognized career and technical education student organizations of:
(b) Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA);
(d) Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA);
(e) Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA);
(f) SkillsUSA; or
(g) Technology Student Association (TSA);
(5) A representative from a business organization, association of businesses, or a business coalition;
(6) A representative from a Missouri community college;
(7) A representative from Southeast Missouri State University or the University of Central Missouri;
(8) An individual participating in an apprenticeship recognized by the department of labor and industrial relations or approved by the United States Department of Labor's Office of Apprenticeship;
(9) A school administrator or school superintendent of a school that offers career and technical education.
3. Members shall serve a term of five years except for the initial appointments, which shall be for the following lengths:
(1) One member shall be appointed for a term of one year;
(2) Two members shall be appointed for a term of two years;
(3) Two members shall be appointed for a term of three years;
(4) Three members shall be appointed for a term of four years;
(5) Three members shall be appointed for a term of five years.
4. Four members shall be from the general assembly. The president pro tempore of the senate shall appoint two members of the senate of whom not more than one shall be of the same party. The speaker of the house of representatives shall appoint two members of the house of representatives of whom not more than one shall be of the same party. The legislative members shall serve on the advisory council until such time as they resign, are no longer members of the general assembly, or are replaced by new appointments.
5. The advisory council shall have three nonvoting ex officio members:
(1) A director of guidance and counseling services at the department of elementary and secondary education, or a similar position if such position ceases to exist;
(2) The director of the division of workforce development; and
(3) A member of the coordinating board for higher education, as selected by the coordinating board.
[5.] 6. The assistant commissioner for the office of college and career readiness of the department of elementary and secondary education shall provide staff assistance to the advisory council.
[6.] 7. The advisory council shall meet at least four times annually. The advisory council may make all rules it deems necessary to enable it to conduct its meetings, elect its officers, and set the terms and duties of its officers. The advisory council shall elect from among its members a chairperson, vice chairperson, a secretary-reporter, and such other officers as it deems necessary. Members of the advisory council shall serve without compensation but may be reimbursed for actual expenses necessary to the performance of their official duties for the advisory council.
[7.] 8. Any business to come before the advisory council shall be available on the advisory council's internet website at least seven business days prior to the start of each meeting. All records of any decisions, votes, exhibits, or outcomes shall be available on the advisory council's internet website within forty-eight hours following the conclusion of every meeting. Any materials prepared for the members shall be delivered to the members at least five days before the meeting, and to the extent such materials are public records as defined in section 610.010 and are not permitted to be closed under section 610.021, shall be made available on the advisory council's internet website at least five business days in advance of the meeting.
[8.] 9. The advisory council shall make an annual written report to the state board of education and the commissioner of education regarding the development, implementation, and administration of the state budget for career and technical education.
[9.] 10. The advisory council shall annually submit written recommendations to the state board of education and the commissioner of education regarding the oversight and procedures for the handling of funds for student career and technical education organizations.
[10.] 11. The advisory council shall:
(1) Develop a comprehensive statewide short- and long-range strategic plan for career and technical education;
(2) Identify service gaps and provide advice on methods to close such gaps as they relate to youth and adult employees, workforce development, and employers on training needs;
(3) Confer with public and private entities for the purpose of promoting and improving career and technical education;
(4) Identify legislative recommendations to improve career and technical education;
(5) Promote coordination of existing career and technical education programs;
(6) Adopt, alter, or repeal by its own bylaws, rules and regulations governing the manner in which its business may be transacted.
[11.] 12. For purposes of this section, the department of elementary and secondary education shall provide such documentation and information as to allow the advisory council to be effective.
[12.] 13. For purposes of this section, "advisory council" shall mean the career and technical education advisory council.