CCS HCS SS SB 732, 2016 (Amended Section - as Truly Agreed)
190.055. 1. The board of directors of a district shall
possess and exercise all of its legislative and executive powers.
Within thirty days after the election of the initial directors,
the board shall meet. The time and place of the first meeting
of the board shall be designated by the county commission. At
its first meeting and after each election of new board members
the board shall elect a chairman from its members and select
a secretary, treasurer and such officers or employees as it deems
expedient or necessary for the accomplishment of its corporate
objectives. The secretary and treasurer need not be members of
the board. At the meeting the board, by ordinance, shall define
the first and subsequent fiscal years of the district, and shall
adopt a corporate seal and bylaws, which shall determine the
times for the annual election of officers and of other regular
and special meetings of the board and shall contain the rules
for the transaction of other business of the district and for
amending the bylaws.
2. Each board member of any district shall devote such time to the duties of the office as the faithful discharge thereof may require, including educational programs provided by the state and each board member may be reimbursed for actual expenditures in the performance of his or her duties on behalf of the district.
3. The secretary and treasurer, if members of the board of directors, may each receive additional compensation for the performance of their duties as secretary or treasurer as the board shall deem reasonable and necessary; provided that, such additional compensation shall not exceed one thousand dollars per year.
4. Each board member may receive an attendance fee not to exceed one hundred dollars for attending each regularly or specially called board meeting. Such member shall not be paid for attending more than two meetings in any calendar month, except that in a county of the first classification having a charter form of government, such member shall not be paid for attending more than four such meetings in any calendar month. In addition, the chairman of the board may receive fifty dollars for attending each regularly or specially called board meeting, but such chairman shall not be paid the additional fee for attending more than two meetings in any calendar month.
5. The compensation authorized by subsections 3 and 4 of this section shall only apply:
(1) If such compensation is approved by the board of such district; and
(2) To any elected term of any board member beginning after August 28, 2000.
6. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, individual board members shall not be eligible for employment by the board within twelve months of termination of service as a member of the board unless such employment is on a volunteer basis or without compensation.