Chapter 68 Port Authorities
68.010. 1. Every city or county which is situated upon, or adjacent to, or which embraces within its boundaries a navigable waterway, is hereby authorized to form a local port authority, and upon approval of the highways and transportation commission of the state of Missouri, the port authority shall be a political subdivision of this state. In every constitutional charter city not within a county, a local "Port Authority" is created by sections 68.010, 68.015, 68.025, 68.040, 68.045, 68.060 and 68.070 and shall become a political subdivision of this state September 28, 1975.
2. The highways and transportation commission of the state of Missouri is hereby authorized to accept applications, conduct hearings, and approve or disapprove applications for approval of local or regional port authorities as political subdivisions of this state, as provided herein, but in determining the approval or disapproval of such applications, the highways and transportation commission shall consider the following criteria:
(1) The population of any city and/or county submitting the application;
(2) The desirability and economic feasibility of having more than a single port authority within the same geographic area;
(3) The technical and economic capability of participating cities and/or counties, as well as private interests, to plan and carry out port development within the proposed district;
(4) The amount of actual and potential river traffic that would make use of any facilities developed by a port authority;
(5) The potential economic impact on the immediate area from which the application originates; and
(6) The potential impact on the economic development of the entire state and how the proposed port authority's developmental activities relate to any state plans.
Provided, however, any such application shall be granted if it is made by a city or county of at least three hundred thousand population, having a common boundary with the state of Kansas, or by a group of cities or counties at least one of which meets the aforesaid criteria, and if no proposed boundary of the port authority described in such application overlaps the boundary of any then existing port authority.
3. No city shall create a port authority under sections 68.010, 68.015, 68.025, 68.040, 68.045, 68.060 and 68.070 if said city is located within a county that has created a port authority which has received approval as a political subdivision of this state under sections 68.010, 68.015, 68.025, 68.040, 68.045, 68.060 and 68.070.
(L. 1974 H.B. 1646 § 1, A.L. 1975 S.B. 135 § 1)