78.610. The city manager shall devote his or her entire time to the duties of his or her office. He shall be the administrative head of the government subject to the direction and supervision of the council and shall hold his office at the pleasure of the council, or may be employed for a term not to exceed one year. He shall receive an adequate salary to be fixed by the council which shall not be diminished during the service of any incumbent without his consent. The council shall have the discretion to require the city manager to reside in the city as a condition of employment; except in counties with a charter form of government the city manager shall be a resident of the city at the time of his or* her appointment. Before entering upon the duties of his or her office the city manager shall take the official oath required by law and shall execute a bond in favor of the city for the faithful performance of his or her duties and such sum shall be determined by the city council. It shall be his or her duty:
(1) To make all appointments to offices and positions provided for in section 78.600;
(2) To see that the laws and ordinances are enforced;
(3) To exercise control of all departments and divisions that may hereafter be created by the council;
(4) To see that all terms and conditions imposed in favor of the city or its inhabitants in any public utility franchises are faithfully kept and performed, and upon information of any violation thereof to take such steps as will be necessary to stop or prevent the further violation of the same;
(5) To attend all meetings of the council with the privilege of taking part in the discussions but having no vote;
(6) To recommend to the council for adoption such measures as he or she may deem necessary or expedient;
(7) To prepare and submit the annual budget and to keep the city council fully advised as to the financial conditions and needs of the city and to perform such other duties as may be prescribed by these sections or be required of him or her by any ordinance or resolution of the council.
(RSMo 1939 § 7089, A. 1949 H.B. 2028, A.L. 2007 S.B. 22)
Prior revision: 1929 § 6939
*Word "or" does not appear in original rolls.
Missouri General Assembly