144.043. 1. As used in this section, the following terms mean:
(1) "Light aircraft", a light airplane that seats no more than four persons, with a gross weight of three thousand pounds or less, which is primarily used for recreational flying or flight training;
(2) "Light aircraft kit", factory manufactured parts and components, including engine, propeller, instruments, wheels, brakes, and air frame parts which make up a complete aircraft kit or partial kit designed to be assembled into a light aircraft and then operated by a qualified purchaser for recreational and educational purposes;
(3) "Parts and components", manufactured light aircraft parts, including air frame and engine parts, that are required by the qualified purchaser to complete a light aircraft kit, or spare or replacement parts for an already completed light aircraft;
(4) "Qualified purchaser", a purchaser of a light aircraft, light aircraft kit, parts or components who is nonresident of this state, who will transport the light aircraft, light aircraft kit, parts or components outside this state within ten days after the date of purchase, and who will register any light aircraft so purchased in another state or country. Such purchaser shall not base such aircraft in this state and such purchaser shall not be a resident of the state unless such purchaser has paid sales or use tax on such aircraft in another state.
2. In addition to the exemptions granted under the provisions of section 144.030, there shall also be specifically exempted from the provisions of sections 144.010 to 144.525, sections 144.600 to 144.748, section 238.235, and from the provisions of any local sales tax law, as defined in section 32.085, and from the computation of the tax levied, assessed or payable under sections 144.010 to 144.525, sections 144.600 to 144.748, section 238.235, and under any local sales tax law, as defined in section 32.085, all sales of new light aircraft, light aircraft kits, parts or components manufactured or substantially completed within this state, when such new light aircraft, light aircraft kits, parts or components are sold by the manufacturer to a qualified purchaser. The director of revenue shall prescribe the manner for a purchaser of a light aircraft, light aircraft kit, parts or components to establish that such person is a qualified purchaser and is eligible for the exemption established in this section.
(L. 1994 H.B. 1578 § 1)
Missouri General Assembly