162.441. 1. If any school district desires to be attached to one or more adjacent seven-director school districts for school purposes, upon the receipt of a petition setting forth such fact, signed either by voters of the district equal in number to ten percent of those voting in the last school election at which school board members were elected or by a majority of the voters of the district, whichever is the lesser, the school board of the district desiring to be so attached shall submit the question to the voters.
2. As an alternative to the procedure in subsection 1 of this section, a seven-director district may, by a majority vote of its board of education, propose a plan to the voters of the district to attach the district to one or more adjacent seven-director districts and call for an election upon the question of such plan.
3. A plat of the proposed changes to all affected districts shall be published and posted with the notice of election.
4. The question shall be submitted in substantially the following form:
Shall the . . . . . . school district be annexed to the . . . . . . . . . . school districts effective the . . . . . . . . . . . . . day of . . . . . . . . . . . . ., . . . . . . .?
5. If a majority of the votes cast in the district proposing annexation favor annexation, the secretary shall certify the fact, with a copy of the record, to the board of the district and to the boards of the districts to which annexation is proposed; whereupon the boards of the seven-director districts to which annexation is proposed shall meet to consider the advisability of receiving the district or a portion thereof, and if a majority of all the members of each board favor annexation, the boundary lines of the seven-director school districts from the effective date shall be changed to include the district, and the board shall immediately notify the secretary of the district which has been annexed of its action.
6. Upon the effective date of the annexation, all indebtedness, property and money on hand belonging thereto shall immediately pass to the seven-director school district. If the district is annexed to more than one district, the provisions of sections 162.031 and 162.041 shall apply.
(L. 1963 p. 200 § 3-43, p. 341 and p. 342 § 165.300, A.L. 1965 p. 282 § 165.300, A.L. 1973 H.B. 158, A.L. 1978 H.B. 971, A.L. 1992 S.B. 581)
(Source: RSMo 1959 § 165.300)
Missouri General Assembly