162.1045. 1. The state board of education shall direct the department to develop guidelines for the establishment of enrollment option plans by pilot local school districts that will be sending or receiving students. The guidelines shall be completed no later than August 1, 1995. The guidelines shall include the following items:
(1) Application procedures, including recommended deadlines for application and for notification of students and principals in enrollment option districts whenever a student's application is accepted;
(2) Procedures to include in enrollment options agreements for admitting pupils, including but not limited to:
(a) The establishment of district capacity limits by grade level, school building and education program;
(b) A requirement that resident students enrolled in a school district be given preference over any nonresident pupil in the selection of a school to attend;
(c) Limits on the number and frequency of changes of enrollment in enrollment option districts.
2. No enrollment option plan may be designed to include or exclude a nonresident pupil solely based on any of the following reasons:
(1) Academic ability, or any level of athletic, artistic, or other extracurricular skills;
(2) Handicapping conditions;
(3) The degree of proficiency of the English language;
(4) The fact that the student has been the subject of disciplinary proceedings, except that if an applicant has been suspended or expelled for ten consecutive days or more in the term for which admission is sought or in the term immediately preceding the term for which admission is sought, the procedures may include a provision denying admission of such applicant as a nonresident student.
(L. 1994 H.B. 1218 § 1 subsecs. 3, 4)
Missouri General Assembly