190.353. 1. The department of health and senior services shall:
(1) Provide for the establishment of a "Missouri Regional Poison Information Center" capable of providing the services described in subsection 2 of this section based on the best demonstrated ability to perform such services as evidenced by past performance of such services and by current certification as a regional poison control center by the American Association of Poison Control Centers. The department shall, in conjunction with local health agencies and health care providers, determine the region to be served by the center; and
(2) Provide for the establishment of a "Missouri Poison Control Network" to consist of poison prevention and treatment centers throughout the state of Missouri, representing all federally designated emergency medical services areas.
2. The Missouri poison information center shall provide:
(1) A twenty-four-hour toll-free telephone referral and information service for the general public and health care professionals, supervised by a physician who is board-certified in the field of clinical toxicology and staffed by licensed professionals who are certified as information specialists or whose certification is pending, according to the requirements of the American Association of Poison Control Centers;
(2) Design and coordination of appropriate public and professional education services in the area of poison treatment and prevention;
(3) Plans for cooperation between the Missouri poison control network and health and emergency service agencies and associations involved in poison control activities;
(4) Program evaluation and systematic data collection on poison exposures in cooperation with the department of health and senior services; and
(5) Coordination of poison control, treatment, and education activities of poison prevention and treatment centers.
(L. 1985 H.B. 435 § 2, A.L. 2006 H.B. 1437)
Missouri General Assembly