253.408. 1. Sections 253.408 to 253.412 shall be known and may be cited as the "State Historic Preservation Act".
2. The director of the department of natural resources is hereby designated as the state historic preservation officer. The state historic preservation office shall be located in the department of natural resources and shall be responsible for establishing, implementing, and administering federal and state programs or plans for historic preservation and shall have the following duties including, but not limited to:
(1) Direct and conduct a comprehensive statewide survey of historic, archaeological, architectural, and cultural properties and maintain inventories of such properties;
(2) Identify and nominate eligible properties to the National Register of Historic Places and otherwise administer applications for listing historic properties on the national register;
(3) Prepare and implement a comprehensive statewide historic preservation plan;
(4) Administer the state program of federal assistance for historic preservation within the state;
(5) Administer historic preservation fund grants as mandated by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, as amended;
(6) Provide public information, education and training, and technical assistance relating to the federal and state historic preservation programs;
(7) Cooperate with local governments in the development of local historic preservation programs, and to assist local governments in becoming certified pursuant to the Historic Preservation Act of 1966, as amended;
(8) Advise and assist federal and state agencies and local governments in carrying out their historic preservation responsibilities;
(9) Cooperate with the National Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, federal and state agencies, local governments, and organizations and individuals to ensure that historic properties are taken into consideration at all levels of planning and development;
(10) Administer the state unmarked human burial sites, as detailed in sections 194.400 to 194.410;
(11) Administer the historic preservation revolving fund, as detailed in sections 253.400 to 253.407; and
(12) Cooperate with the department of economic development in administering the main street Missouri act, as detailed in sections 251.470 to 251.485.
(L. 1991 S.B. 124 §§ 1, 2)
Missouri General Assembly