256.459. 1. The "Board of Geologist Registration" is hereby created to administer the provisions of sections 256.450 to 256.483. The official domicile of the board of geologist registration is the division of professional registration. The division shall provide necessary staff support services, but all administrative costs of board operation shall be paid, upon appropriation, by moneys in the board of geologist registration fund created in section 256.465.
2. The board shall be composed of eight members, seven of whom shall be voting members appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. The state geologist shall serve as "ex officio" nonvoting member.
3. Five of the appointed members shall be registered geologists, except that this requirement shall not apply for the initially appointed geologist members. Four members shall be chosen to represent experience in different geologic specialties. The fifth member shall be a geologist employed by the state or a city or county. The initially appointed geologist members must be eligible for registration pursuant to sections 256.450 to 256.483 and must be registered pursuant to sections 256.450 to 256.483 within twelve months following appointment to the board to maintain eligibility as a member of the board.
4. Two of the appointed members shall be public members. Each public member shall, at the time of appointment, be a citizen of the United States, a resident of Missouri for at least three years immediately preceding appointment, a registered voter, a person who is not and never was a member of any profession licensed or regulated pursuant to this chapter or the spouse of such person and a person who does not have and never has had a material, financial interest in either the providing of professional services regulated by this chapter or any activity or organization directly related to any profession licensed or regulated pursuant to this chapter. The duties of the public members shall not include the determination of the technical requirements to be met for licensure or whether any person meets such technical requirements or of the technical competence or technical judgment of a licensee or a candidate for licensure.
5. Each geologist member of the board shall be a citizen of the United States and shall have been a resident of Missouri for at least three years immediately preceding appointment.
6. Appointed members of the board shall serve terms of three years except that two of the first appointed members shall be appointed to one-year terms and two of the first appointed members shall be appointed to two-year terms. Members shall hold office until the expiration of the terms for which they were appointed and until their successors have been appointed and duly qualified unless removed for cause by the governor. No person may serve more than two consecutive terms.
7. The board shall not be required to give any appeal bond in any cause arising under application of sections 256.450 to 256.483. The attorney general shall represent the board in all actions and proceedings to enforce the provisions of sections 256.450 to 256.483.
8. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, any appointed member of the board shall receive as compensation an amount established by the director of the division of professional registration not to exceed seventy dollars per day for board business plus actual and necessary expenses. The director of the division of professional registration shall establish by rule guidelines for payment.
(L. 1994 S.B. 649, A.L. 1999 H.B. 343, A.L. 2001 H.B. 567)
Missouri General Assembly