256.710. 1. There is hereby created an advisory council to the state geologist known as the "Industrial Minerals Advisory Council". The council shall be composed of nine members as follows:
(1) The director of the department of transportation or his or her designee;
(2) Eight representatives of the following industries appointed by the director of the department of natural resources:
(a) Three representing the limestone quarry operators;
(b) One representing the clay mining industry;
(c) One representing the sandstone mining industry;
(d) One representing the sand and gravel mining industry;
(e) One representing the barite mining industry; and
(f) One representing the granite mining industry. The director of the department of natural resources or his or her designee shall act as chairperson of the council and convene the council as needed.
2. The advisory council shall:
(1) Meet at least once each year;
(2) Annually review with the state geologist the income received and expenditures made under sections 256.700 and 256.705;
(3) Consider all information and advise the director of the department of natural resources in determining the method and amount of fees to be assessed;
(4) In performing its duties under this subsection, represent the best interests of the Missouri mining industry;
(5) Serve in an advisory capacity in all matters pertaining to the administration of this section and section 256.700;
(6) Serve in an advisory capacity in all other matters brought before the council by the director of the department of natural resources.
3. All members of the advisory council, with the exception of the director of the department of transportation or his or her designee who shall serve indefinitely, shall serve for terms of three years and until their successors are duly appointed and qualified; except that, of the members first appointed:
(1) One member who represents the limestone quarry operators, the representative of the clay mining industry, and the representative of the sandstone mining industry shall serve terms of three years;
(2) One member who represents the limestone quarry operators, the representative of the sand and gravel mining industry, and the representative of the barite mining industry shall serve terms of two years; and
(3) One member who represents the limestone quarry operators, and the representative of the granite mining industry shall serve a term of one year.
4. All members shall be residents of this state. Any member may be reappointed.
5. All members shall be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties in accordance with the reimbursement policy set by the director. All reimbursements paid under this section shall be paid from fees collected under section 256.700.
6. Every vacancy on the advisory council shall be filled by the director of the department of natural resources. The person selected to fill any such vacancy shall possess the same qualifications required by this section as the member he or she replaces and shall serve until the end of the unexpired term of his or her predecessor.
(L. 2007 S.B. 54)
Missouri General Assembly