302.272. 1. No person shall operate any school bus owned by or under contract with a public school or the state board of education unless such driver has qualified for a school bus endorsement under this section and complied with the pertinent rules and regulations of the department of revenue and any final rule issued by the secretary of the United States Department of Transportation or has a valid school bus endorsement on a valid commercial driver's license issued by another state. A school bus endorsement shall be issued to any applicant who meets the following qualifications:
(1) The applicant has a valid state license issued under this chapter;
(2) The applicant is at least twenty-one years of age; and
(3) The applicant has successfully passed an examination for the operation of a school bus as prescribed by the director of revenue. The examination shall include any examinations prescribed by the secretary of the United States Department of Transportation, and a driving test in the type of vehicle to be operated. The test shall be completed in the appropriate class of vehicle to be driven. For purposes of this section classes of school buses shall comply with the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 (Title XII of Pub. Law 99-570). For drivers who are at least seventy years of age, such examination shall be completed annually.
2. The director of revenue, to the best of the director's knowledge, shall not issue or renew a school bus endorsement to any applicant whose driving record shows that such applicant's privilege to operate a motor vehicle has been suspended, revoked or disqualified or whose driving record shows a history of moving vehicle violations.
3. The director may adopt any rules and regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this section. Any rule or portion of a rule, as that term is defined in section 536.010, that is created under the authority delegated in this section shall become effective only if it complies with and is subject to all of the provisions of chapter 536 and, if applicable, section 536.028. This section and chapter 536 are nonseverable and if any of the powers vested with the general assembly pursuant to chapter 536 to review, to delay the effective date, or to disapprove and annul a rule are subsequently held unconstitutional, then the grant of rulemaking authority and any rule proposed or adopted after August 28, 2004, shall be invalid and void.
4. Notwithstanding the requirements of this section, an applicant who resides in another state and possesses a valid driver's license from his or her state of residence with a valid school bus endorsement for the type of vehicle being operated shall not be required to obtain a Missouri driver's license with a school bus endorsement.
(L. 1986 S.B. 707 § 302.270, A.L. 1987 H.B. 384 Revision merged with S.B. 3, A.L. 1989 1st Ex. Sess. H.B. 3, A.L. 1996 H.B. 1301 & 1298 merged with H.B. 1441, A.L. 2004 H.B. 1453 merged with S.B. 968 and S.B. 969 merged with S.B. 1233, et al., A.L. 2005 H.B. 487)
Missouri General Assembly