313.321. 1. The money received by the Missouri state lottery commission from the sale of Missouri lottery tickets and from all other sources shall be deposited in the "State Lottery Fund", which is hereby created in the state treasury. At least forty-five percent, in the aggregate, of the money received from the sale of Missouri lottery tickets shall be appropriated to the Missouri state lottery commission and shall be used to fund prizes to lottery players. Amounts in the state lottery fund may be appropriated to the Missouri state lottery commission for administration, advertising, promotion, and retailer compensation. The general assembly shall appropriate remaining moneys not previously allocated from the state lottery fund by transferring such moneys to the general revenue fund. The lottery commission shall make monthly transfers of moneys not previously allocated from the state lottery fund to the general revenue fund as provided by appropriation.
2. The commission may also purchase and hold title to any securities issued by the United States government or its agencies and instrumentalities thereof that mature within the term of the prize for funding multiyear payout prizes.
3. The "Missouri State Lottery Imprest Prize Fund" is hereby created. This fund is to be established by the state treasurer and funded by warrants drawn by the office of administration from the state lottery fund in amounts specified by the commission. The commission may write checks and disburse moneys from this fund for the payment of lottery prizes only and for no other purpose. All expenditures shall be made in accordance with rules and regulations established by the office of administration. Prize payments may also be made from the state lottery fund. Prize payouts made pursuant to this section shall be subject to the provisions of section 143.781. Prize payouts made pursuant to this section shall be subject to set off for:
(1) Delinquent child support payments as assessed by a court of competent jurisdiction or pursuant to section 454.410;
(2) Unpaid health care services provided by hospitals and health care providers under the procedure established in section 143.790; and
(3) Unpaid debts to a county jail as provided under section 221.070 and pursuant to the procedure established in section 488.5028.
4. Funds of the state lottery commission not currently needed for prize money, administration costs, commissions and promotion costs shall be invested by the state treasurer in interest-bearing investments in accordance with the investment powers of the state treasurer contained in chapter 30. All interest earned by funds in the state lottery fund shall accrue to the credit of that fund.
5. No state or local sales tax shall be imposed upon the sale of lottery tickets or shares of the state lottery or on any prize awarded by the state lottery. No state income tax or local earnings tax shall be imposed upon any lottery game prizes which accumulate to an amount of less than six hundred dollars during a prize winner's tax year. The state of Missouri shall withhold for state income tax purposes from a lottery game prize or periodic payment of six hundred dollars or more an amount equal to four percent of the prize.
6. The director of revenue is authorized to enter into agreements with the lottery commission, in conjunction with the various state agencies pursuant to sections 143.782 to 143.788, in an effort to satisfy outstanding debts to the state from the lottery winning of any person entitled to receive lottery payments which are subject to federal withholding. The director of revenue is also authorized to enter into agreements with the lottery commission in conjunction with the department of health and senior services pursuant to section 143.790 in an effort to satisfy outstanding debts owed to hospitals and health care providers for unpaid health care services of any person entitled to receive lottery payments which are subject to federal withholding.
7. In addition to the restrictions provided in section 313.260, no person, firm, or corporation whose primary source of income is derived from the sale or rental of sexually oriented publications or sexually oriented materials or property shall be licensed as a lottery game retailer and any lottery game retailer license held by any such person, firm, or corporation shall be revoked.
(L. 1986 H.B. 1652, A.L. 1988 S.B. 643, A.L. 2007 H.B.818, A.L. 2013 S.B. 42)
Missouri General Assembly