337.653. 1. No person shall use the title of licensed baccalaureate social worker and engage in the practice of baccalaureate social work in this state unless the person is licensed as required by the provisions of sections 337.600 to 337.689.
2. A licensed baccalaureate social worker shall be deemed qualified to practice the following:
(1) Engage in assessment and evaluation from a generalist perspective, excluding the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness and emotional disorders;
(2) Conduct basic data gathering of records and social problems of individuals, groups, families and communities, assess such data, and formulate and implement a plan to achieve specific goals;
(3) Serve as an advocate for clients, families, groups or communities for the purpose of achieving specific goals;
(4) Counsel, excluding psychotherapy; however, counseling shall be defined as providing support, direction, and guidance to clients by assisting them in successfully solving complex social problems;
(5) Perform crisis intervention, screening and resolution, excluding the use of psychotherapeutic techniques;
(6) Be a community supporter, organizer, planner or administrator for a social service program;
(7) Conduct crisis planning ranging from disaster relief planning for communities to helping individuals prepare for the death or disability of family members;
(8) Inform and refer clients to other professional services;
(9) Perform case management and outreach, including but not limited to planning, managing, directing or coordinating social services; and
(10) Engage in the training and education of social work students from an accredited institution and supervise other licensed baccalaureate social workers.
3. If the licensed baccalaureate social worker has completed three thousand hours of supervised baccalaureate experience with a qualified baccalaureate supervisor in no less than twenty-four months and no more than forty-eight consecutive calendar months, the licensed baccalaureate social worker may engage in the independent practice of baccalaureate social work as defined in section 337.600 and subdivisions (1) to (10) of subsection 2 of this section. Upon demonstrating the successful completion of supervised experience, the state committee for social workers shall provide the licensee with a certificate clearly stating the individual's qualification to practice independently with the words "independent practice" or "IP" next to his or her licensure.
(L. 2001 H.B. 567, A.L. 2005 S.B. 177, A.L. 2007 H.B. 780 merged with S.B. 308)
Missouri General Assembly