359.172. 1. To become and to continue as a registered limited liability limited partnership, a limited partnership shall, in addition to complying with the requirements of this chapter:
(1) File an application or a renewal application, as the case may be, as provided in section 358.440, as permitted by the limited partnership's partnership agreement or, if the limited partnership's partnership agreement does not provide for the limited partnership's becoming a registered limited liability limited partnership, with the approval by all general partners and the limited partners, or, if there is more than one class or group of limited partners, then by each class or group of limited partners, in either case, by limited partners who own more than fifty percent of the then current percentage or other interest in the profits of the limited partnership owned by all of the limited partners in each class or group, as appropriate;
(2) Comply with sections 358.440 to 358.501; and
(3) Have as the last words or letters of its name the words "Registered Limited Liability Limited Partnership", or the abbreviation "L.L.L.P.", or the designation "LLLP".
2. In applying sections 358.440 to 358.501 to a limited partnership:
(1) An application to become a registered limited liability limited partnership, a renewal application to continue as a registered limited liability limited partnership, a certificate of amendment of an application or a renewal application, or a withdrawal notice of an application or a renewal application shall be executed by at least one general partner of the limited partnership; and
(2) All references to partners mean general partners only.
3. If a limited partnership is a registered limited liability limited partnership, its partners who are liable for the debts, liabilities and other obligations of the limited partnership shall have the limitation on liability afforded to partners of registered limited liability partnerships pursuant to chapter 358.
4. The filing of an application to become a registered limited liability limited partnership shall constitute the filing of an amendment to the limited partnership's certificate of limited partnership for the purposes of causing the name of the limited partnership to comply with the provisions of subdivision (3) of subsection 1 of this section. In the event a limited partnership ceases to be registered in this state as limited liability limited partnership for any reason, the limited partnership shall, within ninety days thereafter, file an amendment to its certificate of limited partnership correcting the designation set forth in subdivision (3) of subsection 1 of this section. In the event the limited partnership fails to timely file an amendment to its certificate of limited partnership as required pursuant to this subsection, the general partners in office at such time may be individually subject to a civil penalty in the amount of ten dollars per month for each month the amendment has not been timely filed, but not to exceed ten thousand dollars, such penalty to be assessed and collected by the secretary, and prosecuted criminally pursuant to section 359.691 with any resulting conviction being a class B misdemeanor and the secretary shall be authorized to file a notice to change the name of the limited partnership to remove the designation required pursuant to subsection 1 of this section.
(L. 1997 H.B. 655 merged with S.B. 170, A.L. 2004 H.B. 1664)
Missouri General Assembly