367.512. 1. Every title loan, and each extension or renewal of such title loan, shall be in writing, signed by the borrower and shall provide that:
(1) The title lender agrees to make a loan to the borrower, and the borrower agrees to give the title lender a security interest in unencumbered titled personal property;
(2) Whether the borrower consents to the title lender keeping possession of the certificate of title;
(3) The borrower shall have the right to redeem the certificate of title by repaying the loan in full and by complying with the title loan agreement which may be for any agreed period of time not less than thirty days;
(4) The title lender shall renew the title loan agreement upon the borrower's written request and the payment by the borrower of any interest due at the time of such renewal. However, upon the third renewal of any title loan agreement, and any subsequent renewal, the borrower shall reduce the principal by ten percent until such loan is paid in full;
(5) When the loan is satisfied, the title lender shall release its lien and return the title to the borrower;
(6) If the borrower defaults, the title lender shall be allowed to take possession of the titled personal property after compliance with chapter 400, sections 408.551 to 408.557, and sections 408.560 to 408.562;
(7) Upon obtaining possession of the titled personal property in accordance with chapter 400, sections 408.551 to 408.557, and sections 408.560 to 408.562, the title lender shall be authorized to sell the titled personal property in accordance with chapter 400, sections 408.551 to 408.557, and sections 408.560 to 408.562, and to convey to the buyer thereof good title thereto.
2. Any borrower who obtains a title loan under false pretenses by hiding or not disclosing the existence of a valid prior lien or security interest affecting the titled personal property shall be personally liable to the title lender for the full amount stated in the title loan agreement.
(L. 1998 H.B. 1526 § 5, A.L. 2001 H.B. 738 merged with S.B. 186)
Missouri General Assembly