376.1225. 1. All individual and group health insurance policies providing coverage on an expense-incurred basis, individual and group service or indemnity type contracts issued by a nonprofit corporation, individual and group service contracts issued by a health maintenance organization, all self-insured group arrangements to the extent not preempted by federal law and all managed health care delivery entities of any type or description, that are delivered, issued for delivery, continued or renewed on or after August 28, 1998, shall provide coverage for administration of general anesthesia and hospital charges for dental care provided to the following covered persons:
(1) A child under the age of five;
(2) A person who is severely disabled; or
(3) A person who has a medical or behavioral condition which requires hospitalization or general anesthesia when dental care is provided.
2. Each plan as described in this section must provide coverage for administration of general anesthesia and hospital or office charges for treatment rendered by a dentist, regardless of whether the services are provided in a participating hospital or surgical center or office.
3. Nothing in this section shall prevent a health carrier from requiring prior authorization for hospitalization for dental care procedures in the same manner that prior authorization is required for hospitalization for other covered diseases or conditions.
4. Nothing in this section shall apply to accident-only, dental-only plans or other specified disease, hospital indemnity, Medicare supplement or long-term care policies, or short-term major medical policies of six months or less in duration.
(L. 1998 H.B. 1302 § 8)
Missouri General Assembly