144.020. 1. A tax is hereby levied and imposed for the privilege of titling new and used motor vehicles, trailers, boats, and outboard motors purchased or acquired for use on the highways or waters of this state which are required to be titled under the laws of the state of Missouri and, except as provided in subdivision (9) of this subsection, upon all sellers for the privilege of engaging in the business of selling tangible personal property or rendering taxable service at retail in this state. The rate of tax shall be as follows:
(1) Upon every retail sale in this state of tangible personal property, excluding motor vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, mopeds, motortricycles, boats and outboard motors required to be titled under the laws of the state of Missouri and subject to tax under subdivision (9) of this subsection, a tax equivalent to four percent of the purchase price paid or charged, or in case such sale involves the exchange of property, a tax equivalent to four percent of the consideration paid or charged, including the fair market value of the property exchanged at the time and place of the exchange, except as otherwise provided in section 144.025;
(2) A tax equivalent to four percent of the amount paid for admission and seating accommodations, or fees paid to, or in any place of amusement, entertainment or recreation, games and athletic events;
(3) A tax equivalent to four percent of the basic rate paid or charged on all sales of electricity or electrical current, water and gas, natural or artificial, to domestic, commercial or industrial consumers;
(4) A tax equivalent to four percent on the basic rate paid or charged on all sales of local and long distance telecommunications service to telecommunications subscribers and to others through equipment of telecommunications subscribers for the transmission of messages and conversations and upon the sale, rental or leasing of all equipment or services pertaining or incidental thereto; except that, the payment made by telecommunications subscribers or others, pursuant to section 144.060, and any amounts paid for access to the internet or interactive computer services shall not be considered as amounts paid for telecommunications services;
(5) A tax equivalent to four percent of the basic rate paid or charged for all sales of services for transmission of messages of telegraph companies;
(6) A tax equivalent to four percent on the amount of sales or charges for all rooms, meals and drinks furnished at any hotel, motel, tavern, inn, restaurant, eating house, drugstore, dining car, tourist cabin, tourist camp or other place in which rooms, meals or drinks are regularly served to the public;
(7) A tax equivalent to four percent of the amount paid or charged for intrastate tickets by every person operating a railroad, sleeping car, dining car, express car, boat, airplane and such buses and trucks as are licensed by the division of motor carrier and railroad safety of the department of economic development of Missouri, engaged in the transportation of persons for hire;
(8) A tax equivalent to four percent of the amount paid or charged for rental or lease of tangible personal property, provided that if the lessor or renter of any tangible personal property had previously purchased the property under the conditions of "sale at retail" or leased or rented the property and the tax was paid at the time of purchase, lease or rental, the lessor, sublessor, renter or subrenter shall not apply or collect the tax on the subsequent lease, sublease, rental or subrental receipts from that property. The purchase, rental or lease of motor vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, mopeds, motortricycles, boats, and outboard motors shall be taxed and the tax paid as provided in this section and section 144.070. In no event shall the rental or lease of boats and outboard motors be considered a sale, charge, or fee to, for or in places of amusement, entertainment or recreation nor shall any such rental or lease be subject to any tax imposed to, for, or in such places of amusement, entertainment or recreation. Rental and leased boats or outboard motors shall be taxed under the provisions of the sales tax laws as provided under such laws for motor vehicles and trailers. Tangible personal property which is exempt from the sales or use tax under section 144.030 upon a sale thereof is likewise exempt from the sales or use tax upon the lease or rental thereof;
(9) A tax equivalent to four percent of the purchase price, as defined in section 144.070, of new and used motor vehicles, trailers, boats, and outboard motors purchased or acquired for use on the highways or waters of this state which are required to be registered under the laws of the state of Missouri. This tax is imposed on the person titling such property, and shall be paid according to the procedures in section 144.440.
2. All tickets sold which are sold under the provisions of sections 144.010 to 144.525 which are subject to the sales tax shall have printed, stamped or otherwise endorsed thereon, the words "This ticket is subject to a sales tax.".
(RSMo 1939 § 11408, A.L. 1941 p. 698, A.L. 1943 p. 1012, A.L. 1945 p. 1865, A.L. 1947 V. I p. 546, A.L. 1963 p. 195, A.L. 1965 p. 261, A.L. 1972 S.B. 407, A.L. 1975 S.B. 92, A.L. 1979 S.B. 218, et al., A.L. 1982 Adopted by Initiative, Proposition C, November 2, 1982, A.L. 1985 H.B. 280, et al., A.L. 1996 H.B. 1098, A.L. 1998 S.B. 627, A.L. 2001 H.B. 933, A.L. 2011 S.B. 356, A.L. 2013 H.B. 184 merged with S.B. 23 merged with S.B. 99)
Effective 7-05-13 (S.B. 23)
7-05-13 (S.B. 99)
8-28-13 (H.B. 184)
Nonseverability clause, 144.008
(2014) Provision imposing sales tax upon gross receipts from untethered hot air balloon rides is preempted to extent of conflict with federal Anti-Head Tax prohibition against tax or charge on gross receipts from individual's travel in air commerce. Balloons Over the Rainbow v. Director of Revenue, 427 S.W.3d 815 (Mo. banc).
Missouri General Assembly