162.1136. 1. The division of special education within the department of elementary and secondary education shall conduct an annual study of the educational status of eligible students and report the findings of that study no later than December first of each year to the speaker of the house of representatives and the president pro tem of the senate and to the standing committee of jurisdiction in each chamber.
2. The report shall contain information pertaining to literacy of blind and visually impaired children including:
(1) The methodology of the study;
(2) The percentage of eligible students in the study who read Braille, print, or large print;
(3) The number of students who have a visual impairment sufficient to meet the definition "eligible student", as defined in section 162.1130;
(4) The number of students currently reading Braille, large print and standard print. The report shall also detail how many eligible students there are by age, grade level, ungraded and with multiple handicaps, who are enrolled in public school, or in the Missouri school for the blind, respectively;
(5) The number of Braille-reading students who no longer receive any instruction in Braille reading and writing but do receive materials in Braille and Braille-related services;
(6) The number of certified vision teachers or teachers of the blind or visually impaired who are currently employed in the field in the state of Missouri;
(7) The number of eligible students who use a slate and stylus and/or other devices* in writing Braille;
(8) The number of eligible students educated in the general education classroom, in an itinerant or resource classroom, in a self-contained classroom or in a separate educational facility;
(9) The graduation rate of eligible students compared to those students who are not disabled;
(10) The number of eligible students who did not meet graduation requirements but were terminated from formal education having reached age twenty-one years;
(11) The number of eligible students who received transition planning services with the cooperation of the division of vocational rehabilitation or rehabilitation services for the blind as part of their IEP;
(12) The number of eligible students referred to rehabilitation services for the blind or division of vocational rehabilitation.
(L. 1999 H.B. 401)
*Word "devises" appears in original rolls.
Missouri General Assembly