190.092. 1. This section shall be known and may be cited as the "Public Access to Automated External Defibrillator Act".
2. A person or entity who acquires an automated external defibrillator shall ensure that:
(1) Expected defibrillator users receive training by the American Red Cross or American Heart Association in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of automated external defibrillators, or an equivalent nationally recognized course in defibrillator use and cardiopulmonary resuscitation;
(2) The defibrillator is maintained and tested according to the manufacturer's operational guidelines;
(3) Any person who renders emergency care or treatment on a person in cardiac arrest by using an automated external defibrillator activates the emergency medical services system as soon as possible; and
(4) Any person or entity that owns an automated external defibrillator that is for use outside of a health care facility shall have a physician review and approve the clinical protocol for the use of the defibrillator, review and advise regarding the training and skill maintenance of the intended users of the defibrillator and assure proper review of all situations when the defibrillator is used to render emergency care.
3. Any person or entity who acquires an automated external defibrillator shall notify the emergency communications district or the ambulance dispatch center of the primary provider of emergency medical services where the automated external defibrillator is to be located.
4. Any person who gratuitously and in good faith renders emergency care by use of or provision of an automated external defibrillator shall not be held liable for any civil damages as a result of such care or treatment, unless the person acts in a willful and wanton or reckless manner in providing the care, advice, or assistance. The person or entity who provides appropriate training to the person using an automated external defibrillator, the person or entity responsible for the site where the automated external defibrillator is located, the person or entity that owns the automated external defibrillator, the person or entity that provided clinical protocol for automated external defibrillator sites or programs, and the licensed physician who reviews and approves the clinical protocol shall likewise not be held liable for civil damages resulting from the use of an automated external defibrillator. Nothing in this section shall affect any claims brought pursuant to chapter 537 or 538.
5. All basic life support ambulances and stretcher vans operated in the state of Missouri shall be equipped with an automated external defibrillator and be staffed by at least one individual trained in the use of an automated external defibrillator.
6. The provisions of this section shall apply in all counties within the state and any city not within a county.
(L. 1998 H.B. 1668 § 190.375, A.L. 2002 S.B. 1107, A.L. 2004 H.B. 1195, A.L. 2009 H.B. 103, A.L. 2010 H.B. 1977)
Missouri General Assembly