217.827. As used in sections 217.825 to 217.841, the following terms shall mean:
(1) (a) "Assets", property, tangible or intangible, real or personal, belonging to or due an offender or a former offender, including income or payments to such offender from Social Security, workers' compensation, veterans' compensation, pension benefits, previously earned salary or wages, bonuses, annuities, retirement benefits, or from any other source whatsoever, including any of the following:
a. Money or other tangible assets received by the offender as a result of a settlement of a claim against the state, any agency thereof, or any claim against an employee or independent contractor arising from and in the scope of said employee's or contractor's official duties on behalf of the state or any agency thereof;
b. A money judgment received by the offender from the state as a result of a civil action in which the state, an agency thereof or any state employee or independent contractor where such judgment arose from a claim arising from the conduct of official duties on behalf of the state by said employee or subcontractor or for any agency of the state;
c. A current stream of income from any source whatsoever, including a salary, wages, disability, retirement, pension, insurance or annuity benefits or similar payments;
(b) "Assets" shall not include:
a. The homestead of the offender up to fifty thousand dollars in value;
b. Money saved by the offender from wages and bonuses up to two thousand five hundred dollars paid the offender while he or she was confined to a state correctional center;
(2) "Cost of care", the cost to the department of corrections for providing transportation, room, board, clothing, security, medical, and other normal living expenses of offenders under the jurisdiction of the department, as determined by the director of the department;
(3) "Department", the department of corrections of this state;
(4) "Director", the director of the department;
(5) "Offender", any person who is under the jurisdiction of the department and is confined in any state correctional center or is under the continuing jurisdiction of the department;
(6) "State correctional center", a facility or institution which houses an offender population under the jurisdiction of the department. State correctional center includes a correctional camp, community correction center, honor center, or state prison.
(L. 1988 H.B. 1340 & 1348 § 2, A.L. 1990 H.B. 974, A.L. 1995 H.B. 424)
(2003) Assets available for reimbursement to state do not include portion of judgment equal to attorney fees and expenses incurred in securing judgment. State ex rel. Nixon v. Karpierz, 105 S.W.3d 487 (Mo.banc).
(2008) Section's definition of assets is not void for vagueness. State ex rel. Nixon v. Peterson, 253 S.W.3d 77 (Mo.banc).
Missouri General Assembly